Choosing the Right Color for Your Vancouver Kitchen Cabinets
Updated: a day ago
Whether you’re opting to paint or retain the natural color of your cabinets, color is a major element that can add personality and curb appeal to your interiors. As cabinets are the primary storage solution in a home, you’ll find it visually impactful especially if you have lots of cabinets in one area such as your kitchen or wardrobe. That is why it is crucial to be mindful of the color you choose for your cabinets.
With so many color variations to choose from, its understandably hard to choose the right hue that works well with your needs. We’ve gathered useful guidelines to help you decide on what color would look great on your cabinets.
Consider the following:
· Personality and Lifestyle
· Theme and Room Type
· Room Size
· How Long
1. Personality and Lifestyle. Always start with the color that you love. As hues can affect the mood and ambiance of your living space, choose a color that you are comfortable with and will absolutely love looking at for an extended time.
Decide on a color that both satisfies your personal preferences and your lifestyle, if it’s not possible, then compromise is the key. If you love the clean look of white on your kitchen cabinets for example, but have little ones who are fully-charged to run around the kitchen, you might want to consider a darker hue for your base cabinets and have the white tone on your top shelves instead.
2. Theme and Room Type. How your room function is a consideration closely related to your lifestyle. So, if you’ve got a formal dining room for instance, where you love entertaining guests, you might want to consider on choosing a display cabinet color that will flatter your curated pieces.
3. Lighting. Color and lighting go hand and hand and can be tricky especially for your wooden cabinets since wood material can change depending on your lighting intensity, chroma or temperature. Remember that wood particularly with warmer hues absorbs heat easily, so if you want to have a cozy and warm ambiance in your home, wooden cabinets are great options.
As lighting conditions change, so do the colors. This is the reason cold colors are countered with warm-colored surfaces Artificial lighting also has the same effects. If in doubt, you can ask experts who are knowledgeable about how to properly assign colors based on the lighting conditions of the environment.
Also, consider how your cabinet color reflects on certain conditions. Dark surfaces absorb light while pale colors magnify the effect.
Don’t forget to have three sources of light which are namely ambient, task and accent lighting. Layer the three lighting sources
4. Theme or Style
There is a wide range of color combinations to choose from when it comes to matching a color scheme to your desired theme or style. Generally, neutrals and wooden hues are great with modern themes while earth-tone hues are a staple in traditional cabinetry works. However, there are certain colors that go along with any style you want. Popular combinations such as charcoal and off-white combinations work well with both shaker cabinets and seamless surfaces.
5. Room Size. Color can affect the way we perceive space, take advantage of this. If you’ve got a tightly-spaced room it is best to go with the brighter side of the color spectrum. White, beige and other lighter neutrals look great in a small space or go with light cool tinges such as teal, apricot, or even mint cabinets are popular these days, especially when it comes to kitchen cabinets. Obviously, we're a big fan of lighter colors when it comes to picking kitchen cabinets in a city like Vancouver with lots of clouds and constant rain.
If you have an expansive area and want to fill the void, rich colors with deep undertones are great to explore. Large rooms are an opportunity to have wooden cabinets with rich colors and textures to cozy up the space.
6. Cohesiveness. This criterion goes along with your room size as you need to also consider the other elements present in your room such as your flooring, wall and ceiling color.
For those who aren’t ready to experiment with their color choices, follow the rule of thirds. The rule of thirds means you have 60% for your primary color, 30% for your secondary color and 10% for your accents. Depending on the size of your cabinets, typically in a bedroom wardrobe occupying one wall, that’s floor to ceiling high, your cabinets will usually take as much as 40% of visual impact in a room.
Generally, your cabinets belong to the use of the secondary color which means choose a color that’s contrasting with your flooring and walls. Typically, if you have darker floor coverings, you should select cabinets with lighter hues with undertones from your walls, flooring or both to ensure a cohesive overall palette. Taking cue on other room elements is a safe reference.
Aside from the rule of thirds you can go with the two-tone style which is now growing in popularity, especially with our Vancouver kitchen cabinet trends. Instead of having three colors, you can have a minimalistic look with a two-tone color palette.
7. Material. For laminated and high gloss finishes you might want to consider more neutral hues, so you don't end up making your cabinets too overbearing. Also, remember that wood will age over time creating either a warmer or cooler color tone. So, make sure to consider the right wood species for your cabinets.
8. Longevity. When you want a timeless color that will last for decades, you might want to choose classic neutral hues for cabinets such as white, beige and gray, especially for you kitchen cabinets. This is also a wise choice if you want to sell your property in the coming future as buyers may not be keen on such dramatic colors like mint or yellow for instance. If you’re in for a long haul with your kitchen cabinets, its great to give it a little personality and get adventurous with your color choices. The Splashiest colors that are making a comeback are retro palettes such as mellow yellow, lime green, mint with gray and a whole lot more.
Canadian Home Style is your highest rated and most recommended kitchen renovation experts in Vancouver. We are the official dealer of Cabico Custom Cabinetry and our reputation speaks for itself. That which inspires you inspires us and we have the confidence and expertise to help you every step of the way. Visit our North Vancouver custom cabinetry showroom today. Book Now!